Thursday, February 09, 2012

GT Transeo 4.0 Hybrid Bike: Review and Pics



You guys know the story. Now, know the star.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you GT Transeo 4.0

GT Transeo 4.0




Manufactured by a young but very reputed American bike company, GT Bicycles, The Transeo 4.0 has their signature ‘Triple Triangle" frame. Blue streaks and graffiti on silver alloy colored frame gives it a stylish yet modest look..hmmm, like a sari clad hot chick. (I don’t care if that doesn’t match your fantasy. We are talking bikes here; for real chicks, click here). 

The "Triple triangle" Frame. Notice the extended seat stays towards the top tube forming another small triangle.


The top tube is not cylindrical and it is not parallel to the ground either. It is 573.14mm long and should be having a diamond shaped cross-section. 

Top tube

Both the seat tube and the down tube has eyelets for bottle rack. I wished if it came with a bottle rack though. I know it’s just too much to ask but that’s what people do. At least I am better than that friend who demanded longer flight duration because he was paying so much. 

Eyelets for bottle racks

Another very big advantage of the frame is internal cable routing. All the Bowden cables that goes all the way to the rear brakes, shifters and derailleurs are sent through the inside of the tubes. That, I think is very wise because it minimizes the chance of damaging the exposed cables when we are lifting the bike or attaching something to the tubes. 

Internal Cable Routing

Furthermore, the frame is 6061 Aluminum, hydroformed and with forged bottom bracket, dropouts.
Neat ‘All TerraAlloy Riser’ handlebars; matt finish and all. And the grips are so awesome. Just the right amount of cushioning, the right amount of grip and etched with the royal angel winged GT logo.
The stem is also matt finish and sturdy but it is not adjustable it seems. So it is not easy to get the right fit with the seat post alone. 


I wonder what does those twisted lines on handlebar and seat-post means..





The headset is from FSA with cartridge bearings. They are boastable enough.
When I was beginning to nurture the idea of bike commuting, I somehow never wanted a Hardtrail bike i.e. one with a front suspension. But opting this was prudent I guess. With the high performance SR Suntour NEX v2 4110 front shocks, those occasional potholes and those infamous artworks made by local residents on tarmac to lay water pipelines can be overlooked at times. It also sports a pre-load adjust (I have not entirely understood its possibilities but it is the knob thing on top of the right shock with + and – markings perhaps to alter the sensitivity of the shocks). The forks are also Disc-break ready.





Gorgeous saddles. My butts are loving it! Not that I am not getting any tenderness over the ischial tuberosity and a mild inflammation on the pudental nerves. But the blame of these miseries goes to the long commuting of 32.82kms (16.41+16.41) which I started off without any preparations. But that’s OK. I should have followed the advises of all the wise bikers. I should have done a series of preparatory rounds. This is what happened. The day I bought the bike, I thought I will bike only for a few kms and then pick a goods carrier or an auto to reach home. But the ride on the transeo was so comfortable and exciting that I decided to carry on. I did not feel any fatigue or strain anywhere even after reaching home. So, I just skipped the preparation part. Anyways, if it was not this saddle (or a better one), I would have been walking like a penguin already.




700x40c tires are supergood. They can be inflated in a range of 35-65 psi. The valves are ‘Presta type’. Very comfortable and gives the perfect grip. Tires like these boost our confidence and dependability on our rides. Both the front and rear wheels have quick-release skewers; equals easy assembly, re-assembly, transportation and above all, puncture management.






GT nylon trekking pedals are just OK OK. It does the job well and has those rivets for extra grip and all. I am not doing complete justice to the clothing and accessory part of biking as I am still using my Formal trousers/ pants and shoes. I think the pedals can be put to better testing with a pair of biking shoes and it will improve my performance (and of course, looks) as well.


The Altus shifters are good entry-level shifters. They are, until now responding fairly well to all the abuse that I am throwing upon it. I did notice a half-a second delay though. The front Altus and rear Acera derailleurs are magnificent. Or else it would have ripped off the very first day. There is no bigger harm to a drivetrain than a noobie biker!! Universal truth.















The tektro V-brakes saved my sorry ass a couple of times. Once from a 100 ft deep pothole and then from a college bus that I didn’t notice stopping as I was too busy waving at the gals. (I won’t tell you my bike route. No!)







Like all the other imported bikes, Transeo came without fenders too. But Mr. Sujith, at Edapally BSA store was kind enough to provide those and additionally a foot pump and a lock. He was so generous that the first day when I went to get the bike and the ATM failed me, he said I could just take the bike and pay later.
The Transeo comes pre-installed with reflectors but that wont show me my way on my ride back.

Its been 4 days and 105 kms. Still the excitement is ever increasing. The bike is fairing pretty well. Very well, in fact. Everybody who has talked to be regarding this bike so far has given me very good feedback. All of them love the design, color and light-weightedness and riding comfort. The bike has already proved its strenght, agility and reliability. But then again, it has just been 4 days and the road is long and treacherous. I will keep you posted on how the bike and me are taking life.
                                                          

14 comments:

  1. Very interesting blog.. this also make me feel interested about biking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting blog.. this also make me feel interested about biking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the GT Transeo 4 in Mumbai around the same time you did. Read your blog and comments on Biker Zone a few days after I bought the bike actually. Revisiting your blog. Thanks for the review, a wonderful one. BTW what is the weight of the bike? Do you have any clue? If you do please let me know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just bought Transeo 4. Cant't wait to pick it up on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the same one! Read your blog a multiple times before I bought it, tried it :) Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi was wondering if you could help me with the price of the transeo 4 hybrid & from where did you source the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this article! and nice pic show with us. I am new to the biking community, and this post has given me much more consolidated insight than any other resource I've found.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was starting to support bicycle driving, I by one means or another never needed a Hardtrail bicycle i.e. one with a front suspension. In any case, picking this was judicious I presume. With the elite SR Suntour NEX v2 4110 front stuns, those infrequent potholes and those notorious fine arts made by neighborhood inhabitants on landing area to lay water pipelines can be disregarded on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The top tube is not round and hollow and it is not parallel to the ground either. It is 573.14mm long and ought to have a jewel formed cross-area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post!!!! I really enjoyed reading this blog post. Very useful information and informative post. I love this blog! It's fantastic!
    Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That, I think is very wise because it minimizes the chance of damaging the exposed cables when we are lifting the bike or attaching something to the tubes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I was beginning to nurture the idea of bike commuting, I somehow never wanted a Hardtrail bike i.e. one with a front suspension. But opting this was prudent I guess.

    ReplyDelete